A couple hiking in Colorado were held at gunpoint in an alleged kidnapping attempt before they managed to escape, authorities said.

The husband and wife were walking on a trail near Bear Creek Lake Park in Lakewood, Metro Denver, around 8 a.m. Friday when they came across a man who was tying his shoe and then pulled out a gun at fire, according to the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office.

“The suspect had something described to me as a leash or rope, put it around the woman’s neck and led her away from the trailhead,” spokesperson Jacki Kelley told reporters. from the sheriff’s office.

Another hiker who witnessed the incident called 911 and stayed on the phone to describe what was happening while waiting for authorities to arrive, Kelley said.

Before deputies responded, the husband was able to move the gun away from the suspect, Kelley said.

A husband and wife were held at gunpoint during a suspected abduction while hiking near Bear Creek Lake Park in Jefferson County, Colorado on June 17, 2022, officials said. authorities.


Once at the scene, deputies located the victims and the suspect, who then allegedly pulled out a weapon later determined to be a Taser, Kelley said. A deputy fired his weapon, missing the suspect, while a second deputy hit the suspect with his Taser, according to Kelley.

The suspect, who is not identified at this time, has been taken into custody and is being treated in hospital for injuries likely to be Taser-related, Kelley said.

The sheriff’s office is investigating the incident as a threatening crime and kidnapping.

PHOTO: Jacki Kelley, public information officer with the Jefferson County Sheriff's Department, gives a briefing June 17, 2022.

Jefferson County Sheriff’s Department Public Information Officer Jacki Kelley gives a briefing June 17, 2022.


“It’s alarming, there’s no doubt about it,” Kelley said. “We have two victims who are shaken and a witness who is quite upset with what he witnessed this morning.”

Investigators are determining if the suspect knew the victims or if it was a random act.

Kelley applauded the quick actions of the witness.

“There’s not enough thanks to an independent witness who called 911 right away,” she said. “We don’t know how this was going to turn out. We don’t know what this suspect’s agenda was. But thank goodness the witness was where he was, acted quickly and stayed on the phone with us.”

There is no threat to the community, authorities said.