By Joseph Obukata, Warri

A 42-year-old suspected Indian hemp smuggler was apprehended by officers from Delta Police Command’s Eagle-Net Special Squad.

The suspect, Demilola Adefuwa was arrested on Thursday, August 25, 2022 at around 5:30 p.m. along the Benin-Sapélé road, near Warri, a commercial hub in Delta State.

The police squad while on patrol in Aberdeen had intercepted a sienna vehicle with reg. nope. SAP 889 AA driven by the suspect who attempted to transport the items from Delta to Benin, the capital of Edo State.

State Police Public Relations Officer DSP Bright Edafe, who disclosed in a statement on Saturday, said the suspect was arrested after the police team searched the vehicle at the during which nine bags of weed suspected to be Indian hemp covered with plantain leaves for the purpose of deceiving the police were recovered.

While saying the police team later arrested the suspect and recovered the exhibit, Edafe also said that on Friday August 26, police officers attached to ‘B’ Warri Division, as they were on watch patrol along the Okere market junction, received a distress call that a four-man armed robbery gang was operating around the Miramble guesthouse along the same Okere road.

According to him, “the team rushed to the scene where the thugs on seeing the police engaged them in a gunfight, adding that in the ensuing shootout, one of the thugs was fatally injured while others escaped.

He said a locally made double-barreled pistol and an actual cartridge were recovered from the suspect.

“The injured suspect was taken to hospital where he passed away while receiving treatment,” Edafe said.

In a related development, he said; “On Tuesday August 23, police officers attached to the ‘A’ Division Rapid Response Team were carrying out routine stop and search operations along Urhobo Road when they sighted two young boys on foot approaching them, the men were on high alert that they might be out to play a rapid and attack them.

“Unsurprisingly, one of the suspects pulled a gun from his purse and fired at the officers but missed the target. The team returned fire forcing the suspects to retreat, unfortunately for them one suspects was mutilated while the other suspect escaped.

“The injured suspect also passed away before he could get to the hospital. A locally made pistol, an empty cartridge and an active cartridge were recovered. The manhunt for the fleeing suspects is ongoing. added Edafe.