Disney’s Freeform has announced details for a new unscripted series “The Come Up” (fka “Day to Night”), which is a glimpse into the wildest feelings and vibrant moments that define coming of age in a post-pandemic New York. The series follows six young troublemakers as they step out of downtown New York to pursue their dreams and pursue love and art as they please. The show follows New York’s creative underground, giving viewers an exclusive look at how the next generation of icons define themselves and how culture is created.
The cast includes a group of ambitious, action-oriented and diverse Gen Z New Yorkers whose careers are on the rise, including Taofeek Abijako, Fernando Casablancas, Ben Hard, Claude Shwartz, Ebon Trower and Sophia Wilson. Each person thrives in their respective fields: modeling, fashion design, photography, acting and organizing nightlife.
Here are some details about the new cast:
· Taofeek (He/Him) – At 24, he is the youngest designer to ever walk New York Fashion Week (NYFW) with his fashion line, Head of State. Earlier this year he was invited to dress two celebrities, Danai Gurira and Evan Mock, at the famous Met Gala, and his career is taking an exciting turn as he now ventures into costume design for feature films. Born and raised in Lagos, Nigeria, Taofeek immigrated to Albany, New York at the age of 11 after his father, also a fashion designer, won the US visa lottery. Taking nothing for granted, Taofeek pulled out his first pieces from his bedroom as a high school student, deferred all acceptances to fashion schools, and earned a spot on the NYFW stage and in the pages of Vogue. For Taofeek, fashion is a vector of support for its community. In addition to his fashion collections, he has led several initiatives to build schools in Nigeria or support local vendors in Albany. Taofeek is poised to become the next household name in fashion and beyond.
· Fernando (He/They) – Brazilian-born Fernando Casablancas is set to become the next international star in the modeling world. Within a year of emerging on the modeling scene, he appeared in campaigns for major brands Balmain, Charlotte Tilbury, Wales Bonner and Chrome Hearts. During the Fall 2021 Fashion Week season, Fernando walked for Balmain and Bottega Veneta, and most recently walked for cutting-edge designer Ludovic de Saint Sernin. Fernando breaks the mold as a non-binary talent by modeling both menswear and womenswear. The world quickly took notice and he was invited to attend the 2022 amFAR gala in Cannes, an internationally renowned event to raise funds for AIDS awareness and research. Beyond modeling, Fernando recently completed production on his first feature film and has been working on DJing and multimedia art projects.
· Ben (He/Him) – Originally from San Antonio, Texas, Ben is quickly settling in New York. A performer on the rise, he perfected his talents as an actor, comedian and dancer. The stage is where he wants to be, and New York is the place to take risks. In the spring of 2022, he starred in the Eastine Theater adaptation of “Cyrano de Bergerac”, did his first stand-up comedy show at the Broadway Comedy Club, and starred in Friends shorts. Ben can also be found behind the camera, taking street photos in New York and making live videography and music videos for local music artists.
· Claude (She/Her) – Originally from Tribeca, Claude is a true New Yorker. She is a rising actress who studied the technique of practical aesthetics at David Mamet’s Atlantic Theater Company, the Meisner Technique, and graduated from Tufts in 2020. Recently, Claude appeared in an off-broadway production at the Tank in February 2022, directed by Alton Alburo. A fashion lover and downtown staple, Claude walked the runway for Batsheva at NYFW Spring/Summer 2022.
Ebon (She/Her) – An aspiring entertainer on her way to becoming a multi-hyphenate in the public eye, she’s a staple of Brooklyn nightlife as a sought-after party host and staple on the rave circuit . She recently hosted a party for Pride 2022 and is a member of the Nosferatu Collective, known for their Baroque Ball in the summer of 2021. For Ebon, the well-being of the trans community is paramount. As an active and crucial organizer of queer nightlife, she recently participated in roundtables to discuss club safety and accountability. Beyond nightlife, Ebon’s modeling career quickly gained momentum as she modeled for Milk Makeup, Parade and Ganni.
· Sophia (She/Her) – A photography prodigy who has been behind the camera since she was 13 years old. She has shot campaigns for major brands like Google, Nike, Peloton, Converse, Fenty, Instagram and Pepsi and established publications like Vogue, Elle, New York Magazine, iD, Vanity Fair, The New Yorker, The New York Times, Hypebeast, Highsnobiety, Nylon and more. Sophia only shoots analog and develops and prints all photos by hand in the color darkroom, a highly technical process that gives her images a distinctive look. Continuing to chart her own path, Sophia postponed her senior year at NYU to focus full-time on her artistic endeavors and career in true pioneering Gen Z fashion. Sophia is committed to changing the face of photographers who work front and center in rooms that young black women have traditionally been kept out of. She is also a pioneer in the NFT space, including creating the first NFT for Instagram.
In a statement, Tara Duncan, President of Freeform and Onyx Collective said:
“These six creatives emerge from the city center with contagious vitality and magnetism. They’re pursuing love and art on their own terms, redefining what success means, and I’m so excited that our audience has a front row seat to it all.
“The Come Up” is produced by Cousins. Megan Sanchez-Warner (“The Real Housewives of Orange County,” “Love and Hip Hop Hollywood”) is showrunner, and Jessica Chermayeff, Ana Veselic and Anne Alexander are executive producers. Chermayeff and Veselic are also series directors.
“The Come Up” will air on Freeform on Tuesday, September 13, 2022 with the first four episodes airing back-to-back. From there, two episodes will air each week. All episodes will be available to stream on Hulu the day after they air. It has not been announced if this series will be released as an Original Star internationally on Disney+ and Star+.
Are you looking forward to watching “The Come Up”?